Resources for schools
On this page you will see a selection of just some of the resources available to individuals and schools that may help to enhance singing experiences for young people and aid teachers to develop and broaden their own skills and schemes of work / singing strategies. This is not a definitive list by any means but more a collection of resources that some schools are using in our county and around the country.
If you use a resource that you really rate and then we would like to hear about it and add the details to our page so that other teachers and young people can benefit from it as well. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Cross Curricular links through singing
Are you looking for some ways in which to embed singing across your whole curriculum? Have a look at this article from our Singing Champion Lisa Mayo, which outlines some hints, tips, resources and free trials to get you started!
Primary and Secondary Membership Schemes:
Membership provides access to hundreds of specially arranged songs, teaching tools and supporting resources for all your singing needs, in and out of school.
- Song Bank Credits – Use your credits to takes songs offline and print out the sheet music
- Unlimited plays of all songs – Stream the collection online
- Termly issues of the Sing Up Magazine - Brimming with 15 new songs each time, teaching tools and articles on teaching practice
- Teaching resources, including song teaching notes, music projects, cross-curricular activity plans and assembly plans
- A range of video content and tutorials
- Logins for your whole staff team
New to Sing Up - get 15% discount off membership for your school/organisation this summer
- School / Organisation Membership: prices currently start from £123.35 (incl. discount). Prices vary depending on school size - £145 - £265 (usual pricing before discount)
- Individual / Freelance Membership: £60
- ‘Become a Friend’ – 10 free songs – try before you buy!
What else does Sing Up offer?
Sing Up Award:
To achieve a Sing Up Award you need to prove that singing is embedded within your whole school through strategic planning, teaching and learning and shared singing opportunities. This makes working towards a Sing Up Award a sure-fire way to develop a sustainable singing ethos in your school that benefits everyone and will last for years to come.
The Sing Up Awards are a great way to help map your singing journey, providing support and guidance. The key features of the Sing Up Awards are:
- Accessible – all schools for primary-aged children can work towards and achieve an Award. This includes SEN schools which incorporate a wider age range
- Flexible – you can tailor the Awards to suit your needs and circumstances
- Support – taking part can connect your school to a supportive singing community
- Journey – you build an online portfolio of evidence to demonstrate your school singing activity
- Timeframe – an Award can be achieved within an academic year.
- Professional development – the Awards support you to develop your singing practice and impact on the quality of singing and singing leadership across the school.
- Progression – there is clear progression for pupils, staff, SMT and Governors within four strands: Participation, Breadth & Diversity, Leadership and Vision.
- Achievement – a Sing Up Award can help bring about long term positive changes in your school life.
- Recognition – the Awards recognise your school's singing achievements and success
Anyone with Sing Up Membership can benefit from our Awards resources and plan their steps to becoming a singing school. The fees for the Awards cover the cost of endorsement, certificates and plaques for Platinum schools and are as follows:
- £30* Silver
- £50* Gold
- £100* Platinum (plus an additional £75 if the Award is put ‘In Discussion’ and needs to be re-endorsed).
*Please note the prices above exclude VAT
Out of the Ark
Vocal resources for mainly pre-school to primary age pupils
- Songbooks, nativities and musicals fro primary education
- Seasonal songbooks
- Assembly songbooks
- School Choir Resources
- Curriculum songbooks – based on topic area i.e. space, animals etc, subject areas i.e. history, numeracy, literacy
- Songbooks and musicals especially written for leavers
- Singing challenges that make singing fun for all – upload a picture of your school taking part in a fun challenge!
- Instant PDFs and MP3 tracks
- National charity event songs i.e. Red Nose Day, Sport Relief, Children in Need etc. and fundraising songs
- Inclusive singing schemes with SingSign™ - instructional signing videos for 10 songs
- Unique software, Words on Screen™ - a simple, user friendly way to display lyrics from their songbooks, musicals and nativities onto any whiteboard, computer screen, television or interactive touchscreen. Just press play and the words synchronize with the music!
- Song Calendar – Choose songs that are topical and fit nicely into your school calendar – great for assembly topics in particular!
Lots of offers available including - Seasonal Summer Offer – Buy two get third free! Click here to find out about the other offers.
Resources for Early Years – Primary age – there are even lessons plans for working with babies!
- There are a series of books you can purchase or the online membership.
- 100s of easy-to-use lessons specially designed for the new National Curriculum
- Resources and activities designed specially for Early Years Foundation Stage practitioners as well
- Song calendar available
Music Express Online
Music Express Online is a website which provides everything you need for teaching primary music week by week. Written by leading experts in primary music education, Music Express has quality and engaging music lessons with careful progression built in, from Early Years to Age 11. It is easy to use for teachers with little confidence in music, and allows flexibility for music specialists.
It's not just lessons either! There are over 400 songs, with audio tracks and synchronised lyrics displayed, to get your school singing. There is also a scheme of work for learning the ukulele as a class or in groups. PLUS lots of warm ups and bitesized skills builders to develop strong foundations in beat, rhythm and pitch.
Music Express Online is available by individual subscriptions of £50 per year. For school subscriptions, email email@example.com and we can set up access for all of your teachers.